Why I started my business
I started my business because I love helping people, I want great brands to do well and I love sharing my skills and knowledge to help them grow and scale. Working for myself has allowed me to work the hours I want, work from anywhere and do what I love.
I’m a product-based business expert and consultant and founder of two businesses: MCJ Consultancy (founded in 2020) and Pink Ribbon Lingerie (founded in 2010).
I have a background in buying, merchandising and operations management within the beauty and retail industry. In my 20 years of experience, I’ve worked with some of the world’s biggest brands while working for leading UK high street retailers Debenhams, House of Fraser and Selfridges within head office teams and for niche international skincare brands. I’ve also worked for youth charity Business Launchpad as a Business Counsellor, helping 16-30-year-olds launch and grow their businesses.
I began MCJ Consultancy because I wanted to share my knowledge and help great brands grow and scale their brands.
In 2010 I launched Pink Ribbon Lingerie, an award-winning specialist online retailer selling post-mastectomy lingerie, swimwear, and clothing, with the aim of helping women feel beautiful following breast cancer surgery.
My biggest achievement in business
Winning a PRECIOUS award in 2011 for my business Pink Ribbon Lingerie. Also knowing that I’ve helped thousands of women breast cancer thrivers and survivors find the products they need.
Challenges I’ve faced in business and how I’ve overcome these
I wasn’t able to access funding when I first wanted to start Pink Ribbon Lingerie and was turned down by banks. I ended up waiting five years before I had enough equity in my property to re-mortgage so I could fund the business.
Advice I’d give to someone currently starting or growing a business?
- Keep going, don’t wait for things to be perfect.
- You will make mistakes, just learn from them quickly.
- Build your mailing list and automate areas of your business where possible.
- Post on social media platforms consistently.
- Cash is king, so keep an eye on the numbers.
- Data and analytics are important, so make sure you understand what they show you.
- Get an accountability partner and get help with the things you are not confident with, this could be outsourcing work or working with a consultant.
Find out more about MCJ Consultancy and Pink Ribbon Lingerie